The morphing of character

I began my own martial arts journey as a means of coping with bullying. I wanted to banish that part of me that had been the victim of bullying; and I knew if I could shape myself into some kind of teenage superhero, that ‘scared child’ would fade into distant memory. 
This motivation probably lasted for quite some time; the idea of shaping myself into something ‘more’, something ‘better’, something ‘capable’ motivated me to train in a variety of martial arts styles through my late teens and 20’s. 
Somehow though, over time, the motivations morphed and evolved. The ‘adventure’ of it all took over. My Superman character slowly but surely morphed into more of an Indiana Jones character as I began to find more and more joy in the discovery and adventure of it all. 

Comments

Popular Posts